300 years of Quakers in Hemel

Signatures of our earliest members from the deeds of the purchase of land in 1718.

Celebrations continue throughout 2018 at our wonderful Hemel Hempstead Friends Meeting House, located behind the Old Bell Inn on Hemel Hempstead Old Town High Street.

Since the 1600’s Quakers have met and worshipped mainly in silence. They have no clergy, no creed and no dogma. All are welcome to meetings. They are committed to peace, and the equality of all people, believing there is “that of God” in everyone.

A lively range of activities are arranged for summer and autumn 2018:

  • 21 July – open garden with folk music – come and enjoy local musicians play traditional acoustic instruments in our flower filled garden, 2.30 to 5pm FREE
  • 29 September – open garden with apple juice pressing and a play commissioned by  Quakers from ‘Spirit of the Old Town Ghost Walks’ to celebrate their historical links with the Cranstone family, ironmongers of the Old Town, and Elizabeth Stirredge – early Quaker non-conformist activist, author and prophet.
  • 28 October – musical celebration with ‘Shekoyokh’ klezmer band

    To reserve your place at any event, please email hemelhempsteadquakers@gmail.com

Our Anthology

We have also published an anthology of Quaker writings and art; memories of the 20th Century; the lives of local conscientious objectors and an in-depth local history going back to 17th Century when Quakers first started meeting at Wood End. The fully-illustrated 128 page illustrated book,  ‘We Go Deep’ is available from the Meeting House and to borrow from the local civic library.

Comments Off on 300 years of Quakers in Hemel

Filed under Uncategorised

Comments are closed.